Leyton is an area of east London and part of the London Borough of Waltham Forest. The main route through the town is the High Road, which forms part of the ancient route to Waltham Abbey. At the top end of the High Road is a crossroads with Lea Bridge Road and Hoe Street. This junction and the surrounding district is known as Bakers Arms, named after the public house which still stands at the spot. The pub was named in honour of the almshouses on Lea Bridge Road built in 1857 by the London Master Bakers’ Benevolent Institution.
Leyton Football Club was founded in 1868, and has disbanded several times (late 1890s, 1911 and 1914) in its history. In 1975 the club merged with Wingate to become Leyton-Wingate F.C., until 1992 when they reverted back to being plain Leyton. In 1995 the club merged with Walthamstow Pennant and moved away from Leyton Stadium to become Leyton Pennant F.C., now known as Waltham Forest. A new Leyton Football Club was set up in 1997, and following a High Court case in 2002, successfully won the right to be recognised as an official continuation of the original club. Leyton F.C. play at the Leyton Stadium (previously known as the Hare and Hounds, and before that as the Wingate-Leyton Stadium).
Leyton won this closely contested match by the only goal against visitors Tring Town.
Programme: £1-00 (36 pages)