Tring Town 1 Epsom & Ewell 3 - Isthmian League, Division Three
Tring is a small market town and civil parish in the Borough of Dacorum, Hertfordshire, England. It is situated in a gap passing through the Chiltern Hills, 30 miles north-west of London and is linked to London by the old Roman road of Akeman Street, by the modern A41, by the Grand Union Canal and by rail lines to Euston Station. Tring was the dominant settlement in the area, being the primary settlement in the Hundred of Tring during the Doomsday Book. It had a very large population and paid a large amount of tax relative to most settlements listed in the Doomsday book. Tring received its market town charter in 1315 by Edward II. The name Tring is believed to derive from the Anglo-Saxons Tredunga or Trehangr. Tre', meaning 'tree' and with the suffix 'ing' implying 'a slope where trees grow' The mansion of Tring Park was designed by Sir Christopher Wren and was built in 1682 for the owner Henry Guy, Gentleman of the Privy Chamber to Charles II. The town's prosperity was greatly improved at the start of the 19th century by the construction nearby of the Grand Junction Canal and soon after in 1835 by the building of the London and Birmingham Railway. Industries which benefitted included flour milling, brewing, silk weaving, lace-making and straw plaiting. In 1836 Thomas Butcher, a wholesale seed and corn merchant and his son also Thomas, established a private bank 'Thomas Butcher & Son' in Tring High Street. The business was subsequently run by Thomas's grandsons, Frederick and George and was also known locally as Tring Old Bank. By 1900 it had branches in Aylesbury, Chesham and Berkhamsted. From this time it became the subject of successive bank consolidations which concluded in the formation of the last to be represented in the town, the National Westminster Bank. In the late 19th century the estate became the home of the Rothschild family, whose influence on the town was considerable. Nathan Mayer Rothschild's son Lionel Walter Rothschild (2nd Lord Rothschild, 1868–1937) built a private zoological museum in Tring. This housed perhaps the largest collection of stuffed animals worldwide. As the Natural History Museum at Tring, it has been part of the Natural History Museum since 1937.
|Pendley Sports Centre|
It is not known when Tring Town FC were formed. First records show them as being the Spartan League Champions in the 1967-68 season and runner-up the following season. They play at the Pendley Sports Centre. For the 1975-76 season they had gained promotion to Athenian League Division Two, becoming runner-up at their first attempt and gaining further promotion to Isthmian League Division Two in 1977-78. For the 1991-92 season they were placed in Division Three on re-organisation.
This Pieman walked from Tring Station to Pendley Sports Centre, this trek along Station Road taking around 25 minutes. Visitors Epsom & Ewell FC took the points courtesy of a 3-1 victory in the Isthmian League, Division Three clash.