|The Small Glen|
Prior to World War II, Slade Green was represented by three clubs: The Wasps, St Augustines and Southern Railway Sports. On 6 June 1946 a meeting was held at the Railway Hotel at which these three clubs merged to form Slade Green Athletic FC (renamed Slade Green FC in 1986). In 1952, The Green joined the Kent Amateur League and were the Division Two champions in their first season, followed by winning Division One the following season without losing a match. In the 1960–61 season Green were Senior Division Champions and shortly afterwards they were elected to the Greater London League. After finishing as Greater London League runners-up in 1969, they stepped up to the Kent League, where the club remained since. Since its foundation, The Green have played on a small patch of land adjacent to the Erith marshes, originally named simply The Glen. In 1987 the 'Small' prefix was added, honouring Charlie and Gert Small who had been involved with the club since its earliest days.
This Pieman visited The Small Glen for a midweek Kent League fixture against Danson Furness United. Slade Green Railway Station being only two minutes walk from the ground meant that that this was a very straightforward journey from London Bridge. The home side won this keenly contested match 3-1.