Barton-le-Clay is a large village that has existed since at least 1066 and is mentioned in the Doomsday Book. Until quite recently it was known as Barton in the Clay. Barton-le-Clay is situated between Bedford and Luton, 32 miles (51 km) north of London. Nearby villages include Sharpenhoe, Silsoe, Westoning and Pulloxhill. The A6 which runs from Luton (6 miles south of the village) bypasses Barton and continues through Bedford (north of the village) to Carlisle. The bypass was constructed in January 1990. In the southeast of the parish are the Barton Hills, which form the northeast extremity of the Chiltern Hills. Much of this area of chalk downland is now a nature reserve.