Three Bridges is a neighbourhood within the town of Crawley, in the county of West Sussex. Three Bridges was a tiny hamlet, which first began to grow with the coming of the London and Brighton Railway in 1841. Despite beliefs to the contrary, the village was not named after rail bridges, but three much older crossings over streams in the area (River Mole tributaries). The hamlet became the site of an important railway junction in 1848 with the opening of the branch line to Horsham and thence to Portsmouth. The railway established a motive power depot and marshalling yards to the south of the village. A further branch line to East Grinstead was opened in 1855. The village changed radically with the coming of the New town development in the Crawley area in the late 1940s. Three Bridges was one of the first group of neighbourhoods to be built. There are currently 13 neighbourhoods. Three Bridges continues to be the site of an important rail station at the intersection of the London to Brighton line and the London to Portsmouth Line, but the branch line to East Grinstead closed on 1 January 1967.
Three Bridges Football Club was founded in 1901. They were founder members of the Sussex County League Division Two in 1952–53, but changed their name to Three Bridges United the following season. In 1953–54, the club were champions of Division Two and gained promotion to Division One. However, they only lasted one season at that level before returning to Division Two. The club's name reverted to Three Bridges in 1964, and in 1968–69, the club was promoted to Division One again, after finishing runners-up. They were relegated again in 1973, but spent only one season in Division Two before returning after another runners-up spot. In 1977, the club was relegated again, this time for three seasons before returning after finishing runners-up for a third time. In the 1981–82 season, they reached the Third Round of the FA Vase. In 1985–86, Three Bridges were runners-up in Division One, and again in 1987–88 and 1988–89.