Hayes is a town in west London in the London Borough of Hillingdon. It is a suburban development situated 13 miles west of Charing Cross. Hayes was developed in the late 19th and 20th centuries as an industrial locality to which residential districts were later added in order to house factory workers. Its development was typical of the Second Industrial Revolution – the creation of new light engineering industries on the edge of existing cities. Hayes has a very long history, though, as the place-names of the area indicate. Until the end of the 19th century, Hayes was primarily an agricultural and brick making area. However, because of its location on the Grand Junction Canal (later called the Grand Union) and the Great Western Railway it had a number of advantages as an industrial location in the late 19th century. It was because of this proximity that the Hayes Development Company offered sites on the north side of the railway, adjacent to the canal.
A lady named Eileen Shackle, who wished to create a club to encourage boys to participate in sport as well as encourage their religious convictions, formed Hayes F.C. in 1909. Their original name, Botwell Mission, derived from the fact that they changed at the small mission church and stored their kit there. The team nickname, The Missioners, was a salute to the history of the team. Their home stadium is Church Road, which seats 500 with a total capacity of 6,500 (although the record attendance at this ground is 15,370 - for an Amateur Cup-tie against Bromley in 1951).
This Pieman travelled by train from London Paddington to Hayes and Harlington station, about 15 minutes walk from Church Road. Visitors Carshalton Athletic won this Isthmian League encounter with the only goal of the match.